Drilldowns and exploration
Mode's built-in charts include various tools for interacting with the data they display. Report viewers should feel free to explore at will: when a viewer uses any of the interactive features below, none of these changes will persist beyond that viewer's session, and the underlying report will not be affected.
To use interactive chart features, hover over a built-in chart. You'll see the following options:
- Expand / Collapse : Increase or decrease the granularity of the chart data. Available when the chart's X-axis is a time-series and more granular data is available in the underlying query results.
- Link : Generates a URL that other logged-in members of your Mode Workspace can use to view only that specific chart.
- Back / Forward : Undo and redo any exploratory modifications to the chart.
- Explore: Launches a drag-and-drop interface that can be used to customize the chart or explore the data. Learn more about explorations in this help doc.
- Within the overflow menu (an icon with 3 vertical dots), there are several additional options:
- View source code: Navigates users within Mode to view the SQL syntax of the query that powers the chart you were just examining.
- View data: Navigates users within Mode to view the full query results that power the chart you were just examining.
- Export chart data to CSV: Only for charts created in Mode's Visual Explorer, this option allows the export of aggregated, filtered chart summary data as a CSV.
Depending on the chart type and available data, viewers can click on an individual data point for additional options:
- Explore: Launches a drag-and-drop interface that can be used to explore the data behind the chosen point. Learn more about explorations in this help doc.
- View Data: Opens a display table containing the data behind the chosen point.
- Drilldown: Increases granularity of the chart to display the detail behind the chosen point. Available when the chart's X-axis is a time-series and more granular data is available in the underlying query results.
You can disable these options for an individual chart by un-checking Enable Drilldowns in the Format tab on the right side of the chart editor.
Filters and parameters
Filters and Parameters let viewers customize a report's output without touching code or modifying its configuration.
Parameters: Dynamically modify the SQL code of the report before it is executed against the database. When a report viewer changes a parameter's value, the report must be re-run to see any changes to the results.
- Filters: Modify the data presented in a report's built-in charts and visualizations. Filters are applied to the data visualized in the browser after all of the report's queries have finished running.
How to add filters to a report
- In the report builder, click Add Filter.
- You'll see a list of all columns from all queries in your report. Select one to filter and click Add.
- The filter will appear on the right side of the report builder. Hover over the filter and click the gear icon to customize.
- To set the default values for a report's filters, adjust them in the report builder and click Set as Default.
To remove a filter, click the gear icon next to the filter you want to remove, then click Delete at the bottom of the drop-down menu
Was this article helpful?